We love homemade ice cream! We actually love it so much that we occasionally make it at the HMC Farms office. Something about homemade vanilla ice cream on a hot day just makes everything better, but we like to elevate our ice cream just a bit with the topping we can’t live without: caramelized peaches.
This recipe is enough for about 14-16 bowls of ice cream.
What you’ll need:
- 8 large HMC Farms peaches
- 1 stick of unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup of packed light brown sugar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
Start by slicing or chopping your HMC Farms peaches, discarding the pits. Place the peaches in a bowl and mix in the fresh lemon juice, sea salt, and cinnamon.
Melt the butter and brown sugar in a skillet on medium heat. Once the butter has melted and combined with the sugar, add the peaches and increase to medium-high heat. Stir occasionally to prevent scorching.
When the juice from the peaches, butter, and sugar have reduced into a thicker consistency, remove the pan from heat and let it stand a little before serving.
Depending on the size of your pan, you may need to split this into 2 different batches, the peaches should not be more than 2 pieces deep when putting them in the pan to cook.
Warm peaches are delicious, but if they are too hot they will melt the ice cream rapidly. Let the peaches stand a bit to cool before using them as topping for your ice cream.
Peaches straight from the pan are hot! When taste testing, let the peaches cool slightly to avoid burning your mouth.
If ice cream isn’t your thing, caramelized peaches can also be added to yogurt.
Peaches make a great addition to baked goods from breakfast to dessert. One of our go-to breakfast recipes at HMC Farms is for peach oat muffins. These muffins are a great way to incorporate HMC Farms peaches into your breakfast, and they’re easy to make. This recipe makes about 10 muffins, so you won’t have to recruit a soccer team to help you eat them. You may have watched Lori Taylor from The Produce Moms demonstrate our recipe on the Indy Style morning show. If not, you can watch the segment here.
What you’ll need:
- 2 medium HMC Farms peaches
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 large egg
- 1 stick unsalted butter melted and cooled
- 1 cup quick oats
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup of light brown sugar, packed (dark brown sugar will also work)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
Steps to homemade muffin deliciousness:
- Preheat the oven to 400° and either line a muffin pan with paper liners, or lightly grease the muffin wells.
- Chop the HMC Farms peaches into small to medium chunks. There is no need to peel the peaches unless you prefer to do so.
Tip: Chop peaches in the summer and freeze them to use in muffins during the fall and winter months.
- Combine all dry ingredients except for the cinnamon and sugar in a large bowl (oats, flour, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt).
- In another bowl, beat the egg and then whisk in the Greek yogurt and butter. Add this mixture to the dry ingredients and stir with a spatula until combined well.
- Gently mix the chopped peaches into the dough.
- Scoop batter into the muffin pan, leaving 2 wells empty. These will not rise much, so fill them up to about the size you’d like them to be once they’re baked.
- Combine cinnamon and sugar, and sprinkle over the top, using as much or as little as you’d like.
Tip: for a fun twist, fill the wells halfway, add some of the cinnamon & sugar mixture, and top with more batter.
- Bake for 20-26 minutes, checking every few minutes. The muffins are finished when a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and place on a cooling rack until ready to serve!
Recipes to Celebrate Summer Fruit