Stone fruit harvest is beginning to slow down at HMC Farms, so we are squeezing in as many ways to enjoy our delicious bounty as possible. One of our favorite quick and easy recipes for a dessert that’s sure to impress is a stone fruit galette. If you haven’t heard of a galette, it’s similar to an open-faced pie. It can be made using a single type of stone fruit, like peaches, or a variety of your favorites. In this case, we used peaches, nectarines, and plums to make a mixed fruit galette.
This recipe was featured on the Indy Style morning show by Lori Taylor from The Produce Moms. If you missed the episode, click here to watch how easy it is to make this crowd-pleasing dessert or brunch addition.
What you’ll need:
- 6-8 pieces of HMC Farms peaches, nectarines, plums, plumcots, or summerwhites
- Pie crust (pre made crust works just fine, but you can also make it from scratch)
- 1/3 cup of sugar + 1 Tbsp for sprinkling (raw sugar can be used here)
- 1 Tsp cinnamon
- 1 Tsp lemon juice
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-2 Tbsp flour or cornstarch to thicken the filling
- Beaten egg or cream for the edges of the crust
Steps to the easiest impressive dessert you’ve ever made:
- Preheat the oven to 375° and roll out pie crust on parchment paper on top of baking pan or stone.
- Slice the HMC Farms fruit.
Tip: A lot of our HMC Farms peaches and nectarines are clingstone varieties. We’ve found that the easiest way to create pretty slices of fruit is to place the fruit on a cutting board with the stem side down and slice straight down on each side around the pit. These larger pieces can be sliced more easily that trying to separate each slice from the pit individually.
- Combine all ingredients (except for the egg or cream wash and the 1Tbsp of sugar) in a large bowl and gently stir.
- Place the mixture from the bowl in the center of the pie crust.
- Fold the crust in about 2” in overlapping pieces to create a pleated look.
- Brush the top edges of the crust with the cream or beaten egg, and sprinkle the remaining sugar on it.
- Bake for about 45 minutes, checking every 5-10 min beginning at 30 min.
Tip: some of the juices will run out from the galette in the oven. Don’t be alarmed by this, but do prepare in order to prevent a mess in the bottom of your oven..
- Remove galette from the oven and cool on a rack.