Grapes contain a natural mix of antioxidants that help support a healthy heart and may offer an array of other health benefits. Studies have shown that grapes may help support a healthy cardiovascular system in the following ways:
· by preventing platelet aggregation (which can lead to clot formation)
· enhancing arterial flexibility and function
· reducing inflammation
· inhibiting the oxidation of “bad” LDL cholesterol
· lowering blood pressure
Grapes contain an abundance of polyphenols, including flavonoids, and are also one of the main dietary sources of resveratrol. Resveratrol is found in the skins of grapes of all colors and is known for its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. Grape flavonoids are found in all parts of the grape including skin, flesh and seeds. A recent review of documented natural grape compounds totaled 1610, including the presence of the carotenoids lutein and beta-carotene. There are likely still hundreds of compounds yet to be identified.
· Help protect cells by neutralizing the damaging effects of free radicals present in the environment
· Help reduce oxidative stress, a condition associated with the development of many chronic diseases
Eat your way to better health!
Information courtesy of the California Table Grape Commission